Thursday, June 24, 2010

Is Twitter a revolution?

Its been almost two years since studying abroad in Singapore.
Since I have focused on developing Japanese language itself rather than in English, my English writing skill has got worse. So I will try to brush it up, aiming to speed up writing academic papers that I am tackling.

This time, to begin with, I would like to write about Twitter or micro-blogging.
Nowadays, social media such as SNS (facebook, mixi), Twitter has become quite common and many journalists regarded it as innovative and revolutionary phenomena. Actuary, I am a relatively heavy user of them. Reflecting real benefit, however, I doubt that these online tools brought me tremendously good effects.
There are two reasons for this.

Firstly, although twitter is very good tool for inputs (get latest news and broaden news source by following famous journalists / commentators) and sharing knowledge or your own, it does no good for writing skill of your own. It has to be developed by other way like diary, blog or on the job training. This is because twitter is too short a tool to write opinions with logic(including conjunction) and data source. It just let users write sudden tip and it is not going to be recorded, resulting in no chance to reflect what they wrote about. Actually, I lost some opportunity to write chunked essays after having started twitter.

Secondly, It tends to encourage online addiction in a sense. Timely tweets (and same services such as "voice" on mixi and "status" on Facebook) made me heavily sensitive to latest news and latest activities of friends and people of interest. (I am sensitive by nature but it went further.) If I were a journalist, it would be good to very much extent. But I am student and have to study systematized knowledge and classic literatures of my field while I am student and I have relatively more time. (Also, always connecting online on social networking sites is nothing to do with real communication and I feel limited interest. They are sometimes very useful in practical way but not always true.) Being online I think is no less dependency than a cigar and alcohol.

Maybe one solution to an addiction to social media would be "detox" or refrain from log-in
to them for certain days regularly. And I am trying to do this, finding it more hard to stop drinking beer...

No comments:

Post a Comment